Position Description & Duties
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Secretary is responsible for assisting the State Director and other Council members with various special projects and sits on the Nominations Committee and the executive team for the Council.
RESPONSIBLE TO: State Director
1. Attend all State Council meetings, Executive Team meetings and actively participate in Council matters.
2. Review and prepare reports associated with Council meetings and activities as necessary. Review and upload prepared minutes of Council meetings to Council Volunteer Library. Approve Council meeting attendance records.
3. Prepare and submit year-end SHRM Affiliate Program for Excellence (SHAPE) and EXCEL award applications. Communicate expectations to all council members regarding SHAPE and EXCEL award inputs throughout year.
4. Coordinate proclamation of annual HR Professionals Day.
5. Review Bylaws of Council annually and draft updates as necessary for Council voting.
6. Facilitate renewal of Administrative Management Company contract with Treasurer and State Director.
7. Develop the themes for bi-annual Council magazine and partner with Partnership Director to ensure content is consistent with the theme.
8. Edit ForwardHR magazine in partnership with the Publisher.
9. Assist with public relations and press release distribution.
10. Assist other Council members on various special projects and council communication for events, conferences, or activities.
11. Perform other duties as assigned by State Director.
12. Oversees Communications & Social Media Director
- National SHRM membership in good standing required.
- SHRM and HRCI certification preferred.
- Attend State Council Meetings
CORE COMPETENCIES SPECIFIC TO THIS ROLE:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Solid time management skills
- Willingness to take initiative
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to persuade/negotiate
CORE COMPETENCIES NEEDED FOR ALL COUNCIL MEMBERS:
• Self-directed work style
• Team orientation
• Ability to advocate for chapter and council
• Ability to recruit potential WISHRM council members
Serves a one-year term beginning the first day of January and ending the last day of December. May be re-elected for two additional terms for a total of three years.
Back to Board of Directors
Beaver Dam Community Hospital
707 South University Avenue
Beaver Dam, WI 53916
Term Began: 1/1/18
Melanie (Mel) Bruins joined Beaver Dam Community Hospitals, Inc. in February of 2014. She has worked as a human resources professional in Southeastern Wisconsin in a variety of different industry settings including Oshkosh Corporation and Mercury Marine.
Working in health care was a career-long aspiration which Mel has fulfilled as Chief Talent Officer of BDCH. She is a Certified Sherpa Executive Coach, Certified 360 Facilitator through the Center for Creative Leadership and is a Just Culture Certified Champion.
Mel received her Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and Human Resources Management from Winona State University in Winona, Minn., and her MBA from UW-Oshkosh. She serves as the District Director for the Wisconsin Society for Human Resources Management and as a Board Member for the Workforce Development Board of South Central Wisconsin.
Mel and her husband Scott enjoy spending time with their extended families, playing golf and keeping up with Wisconsin’s college and professional sports teams.